CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 4월 8일 화요일

MAIN CHARACTERS







*Who are the main characters in the novel? Do you like them? Why or why not? What is special about them? What do they reveal about the human experience?*

After I finished reading the novel, only three main characters popped inside my mind. One was the protagonist, which was Ralph, and the other was the antagonist, which was Jack. I thought that one additional character must have been Piggy instead of Simon or Roger because Piggy played a higher, important role in the novel more than any other characters summed together. Roger was only like an official to Jack because he was strong. Simon wasn’t mentioned a lot in the novel because he was shy and secretive.

Ralph, the protagonist of the story, symbolizes leadership, authority, law, and civilization. What makes him an interesting character is that he is different compared to other kids in the island; in a good point of view. There aren’t many people like him in the reality just because of his characteristics. What makes him such a good and noble character is because of the actions and feelings he displayed in the novel. When most of the other boys were concerned merely playing and having fun, he takes his responsibility as a leader and thinks about tactics or moves that he would do which would maximize the chances of being rescued. Whenever the assembly was taken place, Ralph would be eloquent in speech so that others can easily comprehend what he’s saying. I like this character, not just because he possesses good characteristics, but some of them are similar to mine. I’m not like a leadership type of person, but I can truly say that I follow the law and respect the authority. In addition, I try to act civilized as possible as a normal human being. Also, I like that Ralph remains calm even after most of the characters are modified into savages. Even though it is very tempting to be transformed into one of Jack’s tribe, Ralph knows his origin background and strongly opposes it. He knows that being a British boy doesn’t mingle with things that doesn’t make who he really is.

In the other hand, Jack, the antagonist of the story, represents savagery, violence, and hatred. Therefore, because he has the opposite characteristics of Ralph, he likes to do acts that involve killing and murder. Since he is a persistent hunter, he likes to hunt down pigs and try to imitate the pig, or forces others in the tribe to imitate. Because many of them didn’t realize that their true destiny or hope was to be rescued from the island, Jack was able to influence many of the boys into his clan because he promised to offer them food, shelter, and some fun. Jack wasn’t only able to influence the boys by his promises, because he shared the same traits with many other boys. He wanted fun, freedom, like the other and sometimes add a bit of thrill in his life, like killing pigs. The “thrill” made Jack and his crew savages without their realization. In my opinion, I truly hate this character. Since I am a Christian, Jack reminds me as the antichrist. I believe that he has no faith or whatsoever in being rescued, but shows only concern in slaughtering few pigs for his/her small pleasure. Because of his savagery, Jack hates to negotiate with things; instead, he performs a horrible act which even gives him pleasure. For example, when Piggy was eliminated at Castle Rock, Jack showed no sympathy for Piggy. He didn’t kill Piggy, but he should have at least apologized, instead, he cheers with his crew. As I see it, I think Jack is a sinner, a sinner with excess responsibility, which will never be resolved.

Piggy is definitely smart, intellectual, and wise. Out of all the characters in the novel, he is the most intellectual boy. Piggy undergo lot’s of humiliation and disgrace from other kids because it seems like many other boys envy his intellect, but mostly he is teased because of his physical appearance and his name, Piggy. Whatever actions that he does seem different compared to the other boys. Even though many boys tease him around, he has the courage to say what is right and what is not. Because he has the brains, he supports Ralph by telling him several things he should do to help improve the chances of being rescued. I think that Piggy represents the intelligent people in reality but also the authority, because he does not break any sort of laws that were created in the beginning. For example, he spoke when the conch was held in his hands, and kept reminding the others that the whole point of the rescue depends on the fire. Together, I dislike and like this character. I like him because possesses an intellectual brain which I envy. As a person, I’m not intellectual myself like many people say, but I shouldn’t be discouraged by that. I dislike the character as well because I felt that he was respect the authority too much. Everywhere in the scene Piggy appeared, he always followed the rules, which drove me nuts. He should be having some fun at his age and caring less about deep issues. I’m not saying that he should not follow every single rule, but somehow he should slightly decrease it. It seems like he’s about to explode because of too much stress following the authority.

Because the world has a limitless number of people, all of us are distinguished from other people. Even though we are distinguished, we all still have evil nature inside of us. Sometimes, when some of us cannot control it because the task we are given is too hard too hard to overcome, we let it go and become like humiliated people. We won’t all be savages, because that’s a perspective from the novel. Some of us can defend the evil nature that is stored in us and forever remain civilized people, and be renowned for it.

2 개의 댓글:

brybry :

Hey Hans :) I really enjoyed reading your entry about the main characters. I, as well, thought that Ralph, PIggy, and Jack were the main characters.

While reading your post about Jack, one part made me stop and muse about what you said. You mentioned that Jack is a sinner. When I first read that part, I totally agreed because I also detest that character. But to think about it, Ralph and Piggy are sinners too because they had done a horrible action. Although they don't have the badwill in their heart as Jack does, Ralph and Piggy were involved in killing their colleauge Simon. That's one thought I had when reading your entry. True, Jack is a sinner, but what about Ralph and Piggy?

Another thing that made me contemplate was about Piggy. You said that you both liked and disliked Piggy as a character. I personally liked Piggy. In fact, he was my favorite character in this novel. You said that you disliked the way he was too obedient. However, that trait made me like him a lot. He was faithful till he died. True, he barely broke any rules. He tried to follow according to the rules. YOu might've thought that as very disturbing, but I considered that actions to be very nice? because his obedience and compliance kept him loyal to Ralph. Because he was loyal and steadfast, that made me sympathize with Piggy as he has a warm and naiive heart.

Overall, I really liked your posts because I could learn about the connections you made between you and the characters. Another reason I liked it is that this entry truly made me think hard and compare your thoughts with mine. :)

good job hans!

Strike Freedom :

Yeah.... Piggy is a smart guy.
Ralph could be represented as democracy and ego. Jack could be defined as a violent and desiring form of ruthless facist.

I would like you to emphasize more on "Simon". This is my personal comment but I think that Mrs. Lavender would definetly point out Simon as one of the most important and symbolic character if she talked about this novel. All I can tell you is that Simon was different from anyone else and his death was not a death of a little boy, but a death of great history.
The rest is all yours to find out.

P.S. Also think more about Piggy, the powerful meaning that his "glasses" hold referred to our present day.