CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 4월 8일 화요일

MY ENTRY


*Why do you think that the title is called The Lord of the flies? Why?*

After I finished reading the novel, I began to ask myself lots of questions. Some parts in the novel were ambiguous and I was sure that I needed some clarification. I had one particular question that baffled me the most. Why did William Goldberg name the novel, The Lord of the Flies? I pondered this question after I realized that the plot of the novel didn’t follow the meaning of the title. In most cases, the title foreshadows the plot or the story of the novel. This book didn’t follow that way as I expected to be. The story is clearly about the boys stranded in an island, but what does it have to do with the title? To clarify myself with the question, I tried to find the meaning of the title by reading the part when the lord of the flies was mentioned. The only, single time that the lord of the flies was mentioned was when Simon sees the slaughtered pigs surrounded by flies. Unexpectedly, the head speaks to him. It tells Simon that the beast isn’t outside in the island, but in each individual that inhabits there. After I read the words of this certain scene between Simon and the pig, I think that I have finally grasped why William Goldberg’s chose the title. In my opinion, I believe Goldberg wanted to show that human nature was evil and also because he wanted to build a relationship between the title and the theme, but not the plot. To do this, Goldberg showed symbolism with the pig’s head to a beast. The lord of the flies was depicted through a pig’s head surrounded by flies because the actions Jack and his hunters performed shows how corrupt and savage we are. Therefore, we have the beast in us ourselves. Like Jack, sometimes we do not tend to control it and let it wander off, which makes us savages in character. But other times, we can restrain it.

1 개의 댓글:

Strike Freedom :

Hahaha.....Don't forget to read ALL the novel next time....

There was a translation and comments about the novel in the book. "Lord of the flies" is a direct translation from Hebrew word "Beelzebub". Beelzebub means "Lord of the flies", which referrs to the Devil (Satan). Because Hebrews considered flies as dirty creature that lives on dead flesh and disgusting things. Therefore, they entitled the king of devils with such a word for being considered dirty and evil. You didn't get the exact word but I guess that you got the idea. "Lord of the Flies" is basically a term for "Devil". The author tried to speak of the title as "Evil human nature".